Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Memory of Running

"The best book you will never read" said Stephen King, (now in print) and I agree. Very good story, and well read! But I have my own memories. You wouldn't know it to look at me now, but I used to really enjoy running. Now I cant run across the street with out paying the price, but as a kid I ran hundreds of miles. My grade school started a fitness program when I was in 5th grade. Mandatory participation had us run/walking to the curve and back, about half a mile. This is where I started, with the girls, of course. I was quite popular with ladies, I was told that they all had crushes on me... I could play 4 square or Curious George with the best of them. (Or maybe I was the only non-redneck going to the small country school.) I would play tackle-the-man-with-the-football before school with the boys (until I got knocked out), then would cross the gender line and play tether-ball. I did the minimum run, while some of the jock types would go on 5 mile runs, so I could get the most out of my recess. Oh, yes, this was taken out of our recess time! Fun, fun fun!!
At some point I guess I got bored, and started running more. I rarely went on the big runs with the jocks, just down the road, follow the levee, and back, and again. There was a down and back on the gravel that was mile lap, I wasn't fast, but would run back and forth all hour plus of the recess. I could get in up to 5 miles a day, 3 to 5 times a week. We would post our mileage and the teachers would add up and post our weekly/ monthly/ year to date totals. My name started low on the wall, but slowly climbed up the list as I spent more time on the road. I dont think I was ever the top runner, even the second year, but I do remember the long hours of me time.
I ran a little cross country, but like I said, I wasn't fast, and while I finished, I didn't compete for any ribbons and it wasn't all that fun, maybe because I wasn't ever along. I the routes were more scenic than miles of the same gravel road, but I just didn't get into it.
Now days I see runners and smile. Not just at the girls in their sports bras, but at my memories and wishing I could get back on the road.


1 comment:

  1. I liked running, too, in grade school and jr. high. I was faster at short distances than long ones, but i was never the fastest kid. But I didn't like the long runs because I was alone. I always wanted company.

    Later, I think my running skills came in handy for tennis. I could run fast across the court and stop on a dime. My tennis coach always said I "had wheels". Which was good because I didn't have much other control over the ball.

    ReplyDelete