Tuesday, July 13, 2010

#2

Hmmm, what am i going to ramble about?
The original #2, Poop?
My favorite things that come in pairs?
Taco 2-sday?
.
.
.

Why am I doing this? I am a second, named after my grand-father. He is a wonderful writer (if not a bit morose) and has been keeping a journal for probably 80 years. I have long wanted to keep a journal. Back in the day I wanted to keep track of all the movies I saw, keeping a paper journal that I could tape ticket stubs into and a brief note of who, what, where when. Other collections could be date journal, job journal, beer journal... all great ideas without follow through.
So this is my continuation of the RCW journaling. I apologize for the rough, disorganized style, I hope to polish my writing as I do it more. I hope that it is more the vomit though the keyboard. I hope to entertain both of us. We shall see.
below is a part of a letter from #1
I suspect you two are busy as usual, and I am wondering if you have been on some big trips seeing great things. Old people trapped in gilded cages have to rely on you younger, mobile ones to tell us something of the passing parade. Our lives here plod along. Dick says to me that "attitude is everything" and he is right. I have trouble finding meaning here, and no doubt the fault is in me. I would like so much to be home where I can do useful things. But at the same time I have to recognize that my ability to do useful things has been drastically reduced. Making lemonade from the lemons I have been given is the challenge I am not doing well with.

However, the other day when I fell in the bean patch, sprawling over the vines and flattening some of them, I slowly got my bearings and decided that nothing was badly hurt as the ground was soft. So while summoning my strength to get up if I could, I saw right before my eyes, not three inches away, were dozens of beans hanging from their vines quietly wondering what I was doing down there on the ground.

It was then that I thought of the lemonade metaphor, and, reaching for the pail I had in my hand when I fell, I laid there and picked the beans that were so close. Never before had I had so close an encounter with the beans, and I think I was the better for it. And then I knocked down more vines getting up.

and that is my #1 (on a good day)
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment