Tuesday, July 20, 2010

more of the taco story


Wednesday, Cielito-Lendo. I met some friends at Anglers for a couple beers, then braved the heat and walked down to the old Dos Hombres. I almost fell over laughing when asked if we wanted a seat outside, it was still over 90 degrees. The four of us squeezed into a booth and ordered large margaritas. Not bad for what they were, better than the last big marg I had. I got the Chili Colorado, I was looking at the Chili Verde (i like the green stuff), but sacrificed my order for someone else. I was able to steal a couple bites, thought. Both dishes remind me fondly of dining in New Mexico. Everything there you could get with Red or Green Chilies. I could never make up my mind, most places the Red was hotter, but others the Green was. And the flavors varied, all good, and i wanted it all. Then I discovered I could have it all. It was called "Christmas Style", Red and Green!! It truly was like Christmas for me, I could have it my way! I got some strange looks sometimes when I ordered "Christmas Style" on something that didn't really call for it, but I didn't care, it was the season of giving over and over again. The best was the Navajo Taco/Pizza. Similar to the Indian Tacos around here, but served flat, layer of bean sauce, wonderfully seasoned meat, peppers, cheese, and maybe some other veggies, and chili sauce covering the fry bread from edge to edge. When ordered "Christmas Style", it came looking like the yin yang symbols, a scoop of each tasty chili sauce ladled on starting on opposite sides, diminishing as it came around to the other side. And like the symbol, the chilies were like complementary opposites within the greater whole, balanced duality. Yum!
Anyway, my Cielito-Lendo experience fell short of existential. Probably would have been better if it didn't remind me of my most blissful memories of NM, but the meal was almost as enjoyable as the company.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment